Thursday 7 November 2013

Magazine Advertisement Development 1









Above is some development I have worked on for the design of my magazine advertisement. As displayed, I have decided to do choose a portrait page as the posters I have analysed and researched are also portrait- conforming to pre- existing conventions of the Indie Pop/ Synth genre. Initially, I started with very simple and plain ideas (taking inspiration from The XX's 'XX' poster) as I felt that it was a good starting point which would give me room to manipulate and alter my poster accordingly. While focusing on the white background and black text posters, I experimented with boarders and the positioning of text but felt that I could still further my ideas. 

Consequently, I chose to experiment with a black background and white lettering- yet again adjusting the boarder and placing of wording on the page however was still unsatisfied with the results. Proceeding from this I used Photoshop Elements 6.0 to edit a pattern and place it behind the text. I used a layer effect called 'multiply' so that the bands name 'Influxx' would appear to have been filled with the abstract artwork. I decided that I wanted the band's name to be the most prominent feature on the page and therefore avoided using the pattern within any of the other text on the page as I felt it could potentially distract from 'Influxx'. To ensure that it remained the focal point, I placed the other wording layers above the imagery so that it remained white. I considered having the font in a grey shade but felt that there wasn't enough of a contrast between the background and lettering and wanted it to be easily legible. 

Similarly, to many of the posters/ albums that I have researched- I chose to avoid having photography of the band featuring on the design. Despite having attempted to use a picture I had taken of the band on my draft copy, I decided that I was ultimately unhappy with the outcome and discarded that idea entirely. As I have discussed in previous posts, it is common for Indie Pop/ Synth artists to want to showcase their music before their appearance- holding their 'artistry' in higher regard than themselves as a 'brand'. Because of this, I felt that my decision to use merely lettering on the poster and digipak was justified and conforms to our selected genre's conventions effectively. The absence of reviews and tour dates on all of the above designs (and the record label on some of the above designs) can also be understood when viewing the posters I have already analysed and researched- as I have found that these features aren't an integral part of the design. 

As the development progresses, I personally like the designs more. I feel as though there are still various tweaks which could be made to the poster but overall I am adhering to a minimalist design, having been inspired by various other pre- existing magazine advertisements and digipak's. I plan to continue to further the development of my poster until I am completely happy with it but feel that I now have a fundamental idea concerning how I want it to look and also a better understanding of the direction I want to go in.

No comments:

Post a Comment